Tuesday, June 3, 2014

My Everything Folder

Yes, it's been awhile since I last blogged. For some unexplained reason, I decided to visit my blog tonight  and write an entry. I don't know what has come over me. Maybe it's that it's the eve before the last day of school and I don't have any papers to grade or emails to respond too and I'm just  bored. Wait! That sounds very unteacherous (a made-up word) of me.  Let me try it again. It's the eve before the last day of school and I have some extra moments to reflect on a most wonderful year teaching a group of the most wonderful students. Yep. That is more "teacherous" ( There I go making up words, again.).  I will stick with that.

So, what is it that I'm reflecting upon concerning these most wonderful students? I always have a story or two. So, let me see. Hmmm...OK. I have one. Well, it's really not my story, but it was so funny and cute that I have to share it. My teaching partner had previously taught our  students how to create folders in their Google Drive and on this particular day she was giving students time to drag the plethora of documents that they had created into those folders. This can be a laborious chore for 5th graders. Well, let me clarify, organizing anything is a laborious chore for most 5th graders.  Needless to say, there was this one very creative, outside the box thinking, disorganized student who understood his weakness and maximized upon it.  Instead of creating different folders for topics or subjects and color coding them, (which the girls love to do, by the way) he created one folder, named it his Everything Folder, and you guessed it, drug every document no matter the topic into it. So, as my teaching partner was monitoring the students' progress of document organization, she asked this particular child to show his progress, since he seemed to have finished the task rather expeditiously.   His response to her inquiry was, "Oh, I just put it in my Everything Folder."

As she relayed the story to me, I laughed, but then I thought, "Not a bad idea."  Being that I'm a tad disorganized myself, there seemed something appealing to an Everything Folder.


So, when we need to organize "stuff"  and  we can't figure out where to put it, we just say, "Let's put it in our Everything Folder."  Kinda simplifies things.  LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment