Friday, March 4, 2011

Going Ape

This has been a very busy week, but hey, it's Friday and all is forgotten. I'm looking ahead to next week. Roller Coasters! Not the real things, but good substitutes. My students are heading into the next science unit titled Motion and Design. We will be studying different types of forces and their affects on objects. So, what better way to learn about force than studying roller coasters. Because we can't go experience the real thing, my students are going to be building their own. And get this. The mighty coasters will be made of card stock. How cool is that! Well, they are pretty excited and ready to get started. unfortunately for them, they have to have a test over the science unit we are getting ready to finish up BEFORE going wild with the coasters.

The other day, I was talking with a parent. She told me that her child was sooo excited about this next unit that he's been on the computer researching and looking at roller coasters ever since I mentioned it last week. That was very encouraging to hear. In fact, when a student gets excited about learning, it's ALWAYS encouraging. Learning is so much fun and seeing my students hunger after it is better than BBQ Pizza... and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE BBQ Pizza (Needless to say, I was very disappointed when Pizz Hut discontinued this item.).

You can probably guess that I'm just as excited as my little darlins' when it comes to this next unit. In fact, I'm constructing my own roller coaster at home. Made of paper, of course. I plan on bringing it into class...if it's presentable. I'm thinking of BBQ Pizza as my roller coaster's theme. Then again, I might settle on something more simple, like Wolverine. He's my all time favorite X-Man comic hero. What am I saying! Why don't I just make my theme a mixture of both. A picture of Wolverine scarfing down a slice of BBQ pizza. How awesome is that! STOP THE PRESSES! I've got an even better theme...Planet of the Apes (The Charleton Heston version). OMG! That is probably my most favorite movie of all time. I watch the marathon every year. Can't get enough of the Ape. Yep, I think that's it. I'm going "ape" for my coaster.

I plan on posting some killer photos of their creations. So, be on the lookout.

TTYL

1 comment:

  1. http://www.learner.org/interactives/parkphysics/coaster/

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc_UEbs_eAY

    It's gonna be a fun week for the kids and you, too!

    ReplyDelete