Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Role Model

I was coming in from car rider duty at the end of today and I started thinking about a particular student.  As I climbed the stairs to my classroom, I pictured this student in my mind and all the struggles he has been through this year.  I took a deep breath and let out a sigh, "What a role model of forgiveness he is." 

Let me start by sayting that he hasn't always been treated with respect and accepted by his peers, and yet, he comes to school with a smile on his face and an amiable disposition.  He doesn't tell on the other children when treated wrongly.  He doesn't return insult for insult.  He doesn't gossip. He doesn't seek revenge. Instead, he stands strong by being kind and forgiving. He doesn't try to "fit in". He is who he is and he is fine with it.

I have such respect for this boy, that I find myself becoming his defender, but he doesn't need  that from me because he forgives. I saw this in action when a couple of students made fun of him. I stepped in and made them apologize. Instead of seeking revenge, he responded to their apologies with, "I forgive you."  Other students have told me that they have seen him offer compliments to those who insult him. They, too, were impressed. 

He has so much wisdom for being so young.  He lives the example of what Christ wants us to be...forgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment